The Most Magical Noise in the Whole World
Music. I always think that music is a well thought out noises, and those noises are full of magical things. For me, the 5 most magical noise or in other words the 5 best songs of all time are…
1. Venus in Furs by The Velvet Underground.
Who said that out of tune is always bad? Just hear this song out first and they will change their mind way before Lou Reed started feeling tired and weary. The blended noise of an out of tune vocal, an out of tune guitar, an out of tune violin, a bassline that could give anyone the feeling of a stab in the heart, the simple drumming, and of course the lyrics by Lou Reed. Personal favorite lyrics in this song? That chilling refrain, of course. “I am tired, I am weary/I could sleep for thousand years/A thousand dream that would awake me/Different colours made of tears”. That part is giving me the chills. No shit.
2. When You Sleep by My Bloody Valentine.
Remember the melody? Yes, that one. That melody alone is enough to make this song included in my best songs of all time list. Don’t get me wrong, there are many reasons of why I put this song on the second best of my list, but explaining the melody is quite enough.
3. Race for the Prize by The Flaming Lips
Ever felt like you just being born into the earth with an important mission completed with a big-epic-grandeur entrance? No? Hear this song and you will feel so. For me, this is a song with the most epic intro ever produced. This is another sample of how genius Wayne Coyne and Steve Drozd really are.
4. Not to Touch the Earth by The Doors.
A song filled with mysticity and a beautifully dark poem by the eccentric Jim Morrison. The music felt like running away from a cold dark place named earth. Then to make it perfect, the music is accompanied by Jim Morrison’s depression at living in this corrupted world. Beautiful. This is gothic at its finest.
5. None. Yeah, none. This space is emptied, because there are still many songs that will be release in the future. And this empty space is for them. Who knows if there will be some great new music, better than The Rolling Stones’ Gimme Shelter, The Beatles’ Within You Without You, Neutral Milk Hotel’s Oh Comely, Nirvana’s Love Buzz, Sonic Youth’s Disconnection Notice, Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds’ Red Right Hand, Jeff Buckley’s Dream Brother, Spiritualized’s I Think I’m in Love, Nick Drake’s Things Behind the Sun, Pink Floyd’s Lucifer Sam, or even Bob Dylan’s Rainy Day Women #12 & 35.
Agree? Disagree? Either way, tell me what’s on your list of the most magical noise in the whole world.